Robert Walser


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




"If you read only one writer or one book in all of Earthly existence, let it be by Robert Walser, a humble man with an inborn pride of thieves; who takes from his own rich Heart and gives Poetic alms to those poorer in spirit . . ." Anita Fix

I once went and saw the Brothers Quay only "real life" film called "Institute Benjamenta" based on Walser's "Jacob Von Guten" at the Clinton Street Theatre. There were about 12-15 people at the beginning of the movie and only about 3-4 by the end. A brilliant movie, almost as good, though less profound and less clever, as the book.

Last night I picked up the newest translations of Robert Walser by Christopher Middleton,"Speaking to the Rose," at Powell's along with a hard to find copy of Rachel Blau DuPlessis's "Tabula Rosa." It's funny, really. I've been reading Samuel Beckett's collected short prose a lot lately and some of his earlier work reminds me of Walser's work. At the time of his living, Walser was often considered a writer's writer, a hack, a fool or worse, but I think he was/is a writer's poet or a poet's writer and one of THE writers/poets creating during the 20th Century.

In the end, Walser is why I began.

Thank you for reminding me, Mr. Middleton.


0 Responses to “Robert Walser”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Frank Sauce

Recent Sections

Sections

Frank's Favorites

(odorless)

Feed Me


ATOM 0.3